Foro

Partida en inglés para principiantes

Comunidad Umbría :: Partidas (reclutamientos, sondeos) :: Partida en inglés para principiantes

Como medida de seguridad los nuevos usuarios no pueden reabrir hilos antiguos.
Si crees que el tema es realmente necesario, por favor, abre uno nuevo en la sección correspondiente.
28/07/2011, 00:23

Sigo interesado, aunque mi nivel es flojo. Si se puede, participo encantado. Eso sí, espero que el ritmo de posteo sea medio cuanto menos. Si no, no sé si podré seguir el ritmo con mi nivel de inglés.

28/07/2011, 02:50
Editado: 28/07/2011, 02:50

you can always translate the "unfriendly" things into something RyF... can't you? ^^

I can always disregard the system completely and use the setting with RyF, yeah... but the system is quite particular, with the GM rolling pain and the players choosing to roll either Exhaustion or Madness (and Madness fuels some very unique and spectacular effects!). So I would say it is very difficult to separate the setting from the gaming system. And the system, which includes different-colour dice, coins and two bowls ("hope" and "dispair") is essencially a very "table-ish" thing.

But I need to find some time to actually read the book, and then we will see :)

28/07/2011, 11:25
Editado: 28/07/2011, 11:35

Both games seem cool :D but i think the Pendragon one would be better for me, so if I'm still in time keep me in mind too, and so count with my axe, my sword, or whatever..even the screems of a lady in danger! XD

28/07/2011, 11:47

Great! I really don't care about the system. But a kind of Pendragon would be easier for not really experienced English writers like me. I mean, medieval world is not so complex like current world and we will manage it faster.

So, I hope "Create new game" feature will be up and ready soon, because I'm really excited about this new challenge.

28/07/2011, 13:36

I hate you all. Why, in the name of holy noodles, why do you speak so well in English?

I can understand all that has been written in this topic but I don't know how you can write so easily.

28/07/2011, 14:11

YoWataru: I would believe "everyday" words would be easier to find in an actual-time game, to be honest. But the medieval setting is something we are all very familiar with, so... point well taken ;)

I've reading Don't Rest Your Head in more detail and think some mechanics that add flavour CAN be imported into the RyF system frame withour so much fuss. 

carnifex: take this as my direct experience with the language: it is NOT until to take the crucial step to actually forget about embarrasing yourself and WRITE and SPEAK the language that you actually become proficient in it. I could read prefectly but the one thing that actually taught me English was to start writing sci-fi with English writers, long time ago. And then, the speaking... I was doubtful of my own ability until I was forced to pick up a call from an American supplier and realised I did'nt suck at it... I was pretty good, in fact. And now is my bread-and-butter, perhaps the one ability that sets me apart in my own office.

For everybody, no matter how little you THINK you know of English... give it a try. Start writing. Show it to others for criticism. Learn. Become familiar with its grammar structure until it is natural for you! The moment you start thinking in English and don't hesistate to speak up, you will realize you are bilingual

PS: As you may see from above, I'm far from having perfect vocabulary and such, but I don't need to "translate" in my head, I just know my English as I know my Spanish. And this kind of initiatives can be very helpful to you guys (and gals) trying to break the "I'm embarrased to show it..." syndrome.

28/07/2011, 14:54

Yo estoy interesado en la partida, siempre y cuando sea para aprender, mi nivel es de COU (bachillerato vamos), veo todas series v.o.s.e y la verdad es que me gustaría ponerme al día y mejorarlo.

I'm interested in this game, if it's to learn, I have a pre-universitary level and I see all the tv shows in original version subtituled in spanish, the thrut is I like to catch up and improve it. Count me if this game go on and you accept me.

28/07/2011, 16:55

That's fantastic!

So far, here comes "The List":

Willen, Carnifex, Faris, YoWataru, Adreim, milady and rurilu.

So it counts seven... magic number!

Alright, I think I'm gonna skip opening a new thread and I'll keep you all for this... experience. "And now, something completely different" (someone recognize this reference? XDDD) This will be the initial set up for the Pendragon game:

Pace: Medium

System Knowledge (RyF): None

Pendragon background knowledge: None

English level: Vary. As I mentioned before, I'd like to have people exhibiting different capabilities to play characters from several nationalities (Does any of you speak/write in german, french and/or arab?)

Compromise: Severe.

Opening date: TBA... This is far from my knowledge right now...

Plot: For those of you who are familiar with the legend of king Arthur and all of this stuff, we'll be placing the game after the death of Uther Pendragon, during the Anarchy period and the beginning of the Saxon invasions (yes, that's why I'll love to have some german-speaking character). Your characters can be worldwide (european or North African preferably) and their story can be anything you came with, so you can start thinking about it, and we'll work with the PJ sheet soon. For those of you who are not familiar with the legend, think about medieval europe during the middle ages, specifically between the 7th and 11th century.

This last thing is kind of important. I don't wanna story filled with full plate armor embedded knights. King Arthur was born in the Dark Ages. The most advanced thing that time was the chain mail. So keep that in mind. I'll try to stay close to the real Arthurian legend but considering itself within the real history.

One last thing: En la partida, el offtopic se hara en castellano, para dejar un reducto cervantil al que acudir con desvirtues, dudas, correcciones de ingles, etc.

Now, Willen: Your last post about DRYH made my mind come crazy! I really wanna play now!!! madness? pain? dispari? ODL!!! Let me know if you need any idea/suggestion to modify the system for an RPW game!

28/07/2011, 17:13

So no long-bred English nobleman? Boomer, I love THAT part of the original Pendragon game :(

Regarding DRYH... I'll update. I'm kinda busy at the office now, but am also trying to read through the whole manual before going to sleep. I looks really interesting (most stuff from Evil Hat is, I reckon); and I am a systems nutcase, so... we will see ;)

28/07/2011, 17:24

You can be an English nobleman indeed. Think about Duke Henry and all Norman heritage. They were founders of the feudalism and the oaths of faith, so nobility match pretty well with them and are still within the background. Also, what I was talking about was the equipment, clothes, castles, and general picture of the age, rather than the background of the characters. The Earl of Salisbury will exist in the story, of course he will. And all the characters of the legend as well. But they'll probably be riding un-barded horses unless they purchase/steal one to a Byzantine cataphract.

DRYH: I'll say just two simple words: Quit working! this is more important! XDDDD Just kidding. Take your time!

Faris

28/07/2011, 21:45

As I mentioned before, I'd like to have people exhibiting different capabilities to play characters from several nationalities (Does any of you speak/write in german, french and/or arab?)

Well, I speak Galician XD What? There was a Kingdom of Galicia during the Early Middle Ages (ocasionally) We had some pretty nice medieval poetry and a important religious pilgrim.

About the characters: All of them have to be males and knights? From a rich family?

28/07/2011, 21:55

About the characters: All of them have to be males and knights? From a rich family?

Of course not! You can be whatever you want.

There was a Kingdom of Galicia during the Early Middle Ages

Do you wanna be a Celt Druid? :)

Yes... there will be magic too... Very weak though, but magic nonetheless. Just very close to the magic described in Pendragon rules.

Faris

28/07/2011, 22:08

Do you wanna be a Celt Druid? :)

Yes... there will be magic too... Very weak though, but magic nonetheless. Just very close to the magic described in Pendragon rules.

I prefer witchs :) Is more "classic" arturian (Nimue, Morgana...) Magic is in the maternal lineage, after all (Merlin doesn't count. He had demonic blood. Or that says Robert de Boron)

And there were female minstrels in the Middle Ages. I suppose that is a possibility too.

28/07/2011, 22:15

Just very close to the magic described in Pendragon rules.

In which ruleset? The latest simply states, if I am not mistaken: Magic is great, and unexplicable. Magical people, such as Merlin, need no rules. PCs wanting to delve into magic should be warned that the effect of their mumbo-jumbo is entirely up to the GM to decide... magic has no rules in the book. Right?

28/07/2011, 23:43
Editado: 28/07/2011, 23:45

In which ruleset?

The supplement: Tales of Magic and Miracles (GK2721). A version of that was published in Spanish entitled "Pendragon - Magia Celtica"

You're almost right, magic has no rules in the core book.

And there were female minstrels in the Middle Ages

Yeah, and some prophetess... which I think will suit better with the plot I'm putting together... :)

29/07/2011, 00:43
Editado: 29/07/2011, 02:40

Ohhh... that is the old Pendragon ruleset ;)

Current and latest Pendragon ruleset is Greg Standford's Fifth Edition:

I really like it, BTW.

29/07/2011, 03:35

I'm from Galicia too, as Faris :D of course i can speak Galician language, and i have a very low level in french and medium in portuguese, so i can try to improve my french or my portuguese if nobody fits in that role and its needed :)

Or maybe i can be another prophetess :) but i don't mind to play a man's role, so as you need, just tell me :)

Cita:

"And now, for something completely different" (someone recognize this reference? XDDD)

mmm...Monty Python? ;D y alguien que los plagia cuyo nombre no revelaré aquí XD

29/07/2011, 16:09
Editado: 29/07/2011, 16:18

Current and latest Pendragon ruleset is Greg Standford's Fifth Edition:

Indeed! Well, basically we'll follow The Great Pendragon Campaign book for the plot background

For my little galician witches... It is not bad that you are two. Actually, for the celt and classic pagan magic (yes, the one described in the 4th edition supplements), Triads are more valuable than single individuals, so it makes a very good opportunity to explore a common background for you two... perhaps you are traveling to Logres in search for your lost third companion? :)

Ok, that's the characters distribution so far:

Willen: English Nobleman (not as high as an Earl or a Baron, but a Lord at least)

Faris and milady: Celt-Galician 'witches' (of course you'll have to find another role to show to society... magic is not pretty well accepted throughout the Christendom)

For the current plot, I'd like some warriors, Saxon warriors (huscarls!!!), Savage Pictish, Cornish traitors (muahahaha), Welsh forestmen... some knights (Norman style, chain-mail embedded, horse mounted, terrifying knights) and perhaps another lesser nobleman...

29/07/2011, 16:44

Bend your knee, pagans, for here comes Lord William of (we will see...) and his mighty sword, for England and the True King!

30/07/2011, 01:06

When I read Faris on

I prefer witchs :) Is more "classic" arturian (Nimue, Morgana...) Magic is in the maternal lineage

I just remember a great book that I read long time ago: The Mists of Avalon. I strongly recommend it.

I'm from Catalonia, so it also could be an opportunity to introduce a foreing character comming from that region, created on 8th-9th century by francs and on the 10th century has become independant. This region was strongly besieged by muslims, under the commandment of Al-Mansur, so it is a good environment to build up a knight with lots of experience in bloody battles. Perhaps like a part of an unknown journey, promoted by Borrell II itself, trying to gather some help from other regions or factions different to France, because France King (Lotary I of France) turned his back to his old vassal region and from now on Catalonia has to face up his territorial problems unaided.

Just an idea.

30/07/2011, 11:33

Well, I don't know the rules (yet), but I'm gonna be a Welsh forestmen, if this character is a man who lives in the forest (I suppose that, obviusly), is the kind of character I was in my mind to be, like a ranger or something like that.

30/07/2011, 12:42

Hola, alguien podría hacer un resumen de cómo va la cosa? Parece que se ha elegido sistema y se está hablando de personajes. Es así? Willem va a ser el master definitivamente?

30/07/2011, 16:15

Hola Adreim! No, no exactamente.

Hemos estado hablando de dos cosas: primero, yo me propuse como master, cuando tenga un poco más de tiempo (y aún así, solo con ritmo bajo, que me conozco, me comprometo y luego... me presiono para cumplir. Eso no es sano). Particularmente me entusiasma mucho algún sistema / ambientación que no he probado, así juntamos mi entusiasmo por ello con el de hacer la partida en inglés. 

He propuesto (y lo haré formalmente cuando tengamos herramientas para ello) una partida de Don't Rest Your Head. Es un juego "indie" en el cual los jugadores son personas que, por algún trauma personal, no pueden dormir... y al pasar tanto tiempo así descubren que existe otra ciudad, una ciudad donde la locura se manifiesta físicamente como Pesadillas, donde los monstruos debajo de la cama son reales... una realidad que la gente común (los durmientes, aquellos que pueden dormir) no advierte. Es una mezcla de Dark City, Matrix, Sin City... 

Pero por suerte, saecel se entusiasmó que armar OTRA partida, más convencional: Pendragon, fantasía medieval. Y él parece más cerca de concretarla, particularmente ya estamos eligiendo personajes XDD

30/07/2011, 16:45

Bueno, Willen, pero la partida de DRYH también sigue en marcha, ¿no? ;D Que soy fan de Unknown Armies y eso parece un setting para ello:D

30/07/2011, 18:25

Sigue, sigue... no se preocupen XD Solo que no he tenido el tiempo estos días pasados para realmente ponerme a ello. Aunque lo que estado charlando con potty (siempre es bueno hablar con otra persona, aunque solo escuche te aclara las ideas!) y creo que el sistema es más adaptable de lo que pensaba. 

Actualizaremos... ;)

31/07/2011, 14:44

Ok en cuanto se sepa que partida se pone en marchad avisad, que me tengo que leer los manuales aunque sea por encima XD

Por cierto para la partida de Pendragon que manual tendria que conseguir para empezar a leer y empezar a familiarizarme con los pjs??

31/07/2011, 15:08
Editado: 31/07/2011, 15:09

Pendragon empezara en breve. De hecho, en cuanto se puedan abrir nuevas partidas en la web. Estoy terminando de perfilar la historia ahora mismo, asi que podremos arrancar nada mas tener un 'sitio' donde hacerlo.

Al respecto de esa partida, como dije esta sita en el periodo de anarquia de la leyenda pendragon. Esto es, en el año 500 DC. aproximadamente. Que hace falta saber? En principio nada, no pido mucho. Ahora bien, es muy recomendable conocer algo de la leyenda arturica y/o de la europa medieval en la baja edad media. El manual que usaremos no obstante sera el de RyF modificado para Pendragon (llamemosle 'Pendragon RyF') asi que si lo que quereis aprender es el sistema de juego, os recomiendo el manual RyF obviamente. Las adaptaciones del reglamento al pendragon, las actualizare en la partida en su momento.

Bien, pues como ya estoy terminando la historia para la partida, esto es lo que me faltan: un par de caballeros/guerreros ingleses. Y esto es lo que llevamos de momento (a cada uno os explicare vuestro 'background' cuando se abra la partida, pero id pensandoos la historia de vuestro personaje, un par de pinceladas de que sois y por que)

Willen (Lord ingles)

Faris y milady (brujas celtas-suevas)

YoWataru (caballero franco-aquitano)

rurilu (guerrero gales)

Faris

31/07/2011, 20:21

es muy recomendable conocer algo de la leyenda arturica y/o de la europa medieval en la baja edad media

Creo que quieres decir Alta Edad Media (siglos V a X). La Baja Edad Media es la que va antes del Renacimiento.

I just remember a great book that I read long time ago: The Mists of Avalon. I strongly recommend it.

I'll try to find it. It sounds very interesting :) My favourite book about the Arthurian legends is The Once and Future King of T. H. White.

Faris and milady: Celt-Galician 'witches' (of course you'll have to find another role to show to society... magic is not pretty well accepted throughout the Christendom)

What about posing as "menciñeiras", healing with herbs and prayer. Too close to magic?

31/07/2011, 23:11

uuups... si, alta edad media ^^

que hagais de manci que? XD

mmm... no, sorry. De hecho, no sereis gallegas propiamente dichas, sino celtas suevas del norte de la peninsula iberica. Pero bueno, parecido, no? :)

Bueno, y para los que seais mas asiduos de la leyenda arturica, ya tengo fijada la fecha de inicio historica de la partida: 509 AD, justo tras la muerte del Rey Nanteleod y coincidiendo con el nombramiendo del nuevo conde de Salisbury...

01/08/2011, 00:19

Oh, gracias, Willem, por la aclaración. Tu propuesta es, de todas maneras, interesante. Suerte. ;D

Saecel, gracias por asumir la dura tarea de masterear por una buena causa. xD La idea de pendragon es interesante. R y F, lo tengo por ahí, le echaré un vistazo.

Por lo visto necesitarías un par de caballeros/guerreros ingleses. No me importaría asumir uno de esos papeles, pero tengo que decir, que lo que más me atrae es un personaje de la antigua religión: un mago, un druida o un adivino, etc. Alguien que conozca los misterios de la magia. Para mí sería un reto, pero ya que es un reto, interpretar a un personaje que te motiva, pues como que sería menos costoso para mí (recuerdo que mi inglés es justito).

De todas maneras, si no es posible, querría un caballero errante, de altos ideales, tipo Lancelot.

Por cierto, en esa época, las armaduras completas, las espadas muy largas y otros avances medievales, creo que no existían. Lanzas, espadas cortas tipo gladio, algún tipo rudimentario de maza, arcos y hachas (arma bárbara por antonomasia), cotas de mallas, corazas, escudos y cascos (el yelmo no creo que existiera) son lo que supongo que se podía ver, pero poco más. xD Olvidáos de mandobles, espadas bastardas o incluso la clásica espada larga, alabardas, ballestas, mayales y cualquier armadura que cubriera todo el cuerpo con metal. Los guerreros irán un poco más a pelo contra los dragones, me temo. xD

Este hilo tiene más de 6 meses, lo usuarios novatos no pueden reabrir hilos antiguos.